Now, I’m not sure where this comes from. It could be something I vaguely remembered from a PJ O’Rourke book, from back when he was funny. That would put it in the mid Eighties, I think. Or it could be something I read in an Eighteenth Century French manuscript, or maybe Cotton Mather. Then again, perhaps cave inscriptions…who knows?
All I know is, dairy is immortal. It simply mutates into more expensive forms of dairy.
- Spoiled milk is buttermilk
- spoiled buttermilk is yogurt
- spoiled yogurt is cottage cheese
- spoiled cottage cheese is cream cheese
- spoiled cream cheese is … cheese
- spoiled cheese is … more expensive cheese
- and so on…
This makes total sense to me, if not to my clean-living roomie.